Thursday, January 31, 2019

Donorschoose vs. what I think the school should supply

Donorschoose: feelings and thoughts about having to buy supplies for my job.

What other job, aside from an independent contractor, has to buy their own supplies that are necessary to complete their work?  I suppose I have a higher than average need for technology, but it seems to me that I should have, to be effective:

A computer less than 3 years old
A functional printer with toner
A SMART board or Google Jamboard
A chromebook cart, or 1-1 tech policy such that all students have access to technology like Khan Academy, teachertube/youtube and the ability to word process.

I also need printer paper, pencils, graphing calculators (I teach math), graph paper, staplers and staples, hole punches, and:
Copiers that work/aren’t Bob Marley and always jammin’.

Of these things, I have, provided by the school:
A 14 year old computer
A printer with no toner
A projector for the computer
A chromebook cart with 15 working chromebooks, and none which still have all of their keys
Pencils
Paper
Hole punch
Staples
20 graphing calculators

I have, provided by myself, my friends and family, and parents:
8 more graphing calculators, TI nspire CAS CX's
2 printers, with enough toner
10 year old, somewhat functional (off by 6 inches or so) SMART board, which was requisitioned from another school when they upgraded (by me)
HDMI projector
I3 laptop (donorschoose)
I5 laptop, donated by a former student

The best, and most functional, things I have in my classroom were bought by me, or given to the classroom by donorschoose donors, my friends, family, or former students/parents.  I'm seriously considering donating the rest of the money needed to fund my projects myself.  It's better than outright buying these things, because the projects are matched by donors like Samsung, Dalio Foundation, and sometimes Bill and Melinda Gates foundation.  So for $600, I'd get a $900 laptop for my classroom.  I KNOW it makes me faster and more effective when I have a faster computer.  I don't spend as much time waiting for the gradebook to open, or for my powerpoint to load, or for the computer to reboot.  Things just work.  

Here's what I think teachers need to be effective (it's the same as what corporate folks need).  We are paid relatively well per hour, and every moment we waste waiting for a computer is a moment we're not helping a student, planning effectively, or being the best teachers we can be.  Therefore, we should do what everybody else does.  We should lease computers and replace them every 3 years, just like industry.  We should insist on working printers and copiers, or go all the way paperless with ipads or kindles - but either way, they have to work.  We need for our students to see that they are valued - that they don't just have old, broken technology, but instead they have new things.  I know there are schools that are funded in this way - and I'll bet the students are higher performing, because they believe they are valued.  They have things that work.  That's the expectation.  

Anyway, rant over.  I'm in the process of writing grants and fundraising as much as I can to provide the things my school needs.  But I don't think we should have to.  I think every school, every single one in the US, should be given the technology it needs to create 21st century learners.  If not, we're not preparing them for the future.  We're preparing them for the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment