Wednesday, April 24, 2019

But what if we had a society that didn't . . . .

I wonder.

What would happen if we didn't assume the worst of one another?  If people who are supposed to serve and protect assumed that the people they were protecting and serving were innocent?  Perhaps more of them would live. 

I can't help thinking that if we were able to help our students in school learn that authority can be dangerous, and that they ought to respect it, maybe we could prevent some of this tragedy.  But should it be the job of educators to teach that police might not ask twice? 

I don't know how to fix this society.  But I do know that my own life has been better since I started assuming best intentions.  Of most of the people in my life.  Of course, there are some that aren't deserving.  I suppose I have utilized game theory.  I assume altruism, until trust is broken.  Then I remove that assumption and assume they are untrustworthy until their actions prove otherwise.  For more reading on game theory and evolution:

https://www.nature.com/scitable/knowledge/library/game-theory-evolutionary-stable-strategies-and-the-25953132

Anyhow.  I know that for police, the game is life or death.  It is not the same for teachers - though we aren't free from risk, we aren't putting our lives on the line as police are.  So we build rapport, we understand why the folks who are oppositional and defiant are how they are, keep other students safe, and try to change the behaviors, while assuming best intentions.  But maybe the police could learn from us.  Maybe then, my former student would still be alive.


No comments:

Post a Comment